What Memorial Day Means to me...

This past March, I had to go to Washington DC for work over a weekend. During that time, I had an opportunity to explore DC.  It has been several years since I went there and so I wanted to make the most of my time.  I walked all over and found everything I wanted to see.  There were a few that surprised me with how powerful they were.

 The first night, the sun was starting to set and I was on my way back to the metro to get back to the hotel.  I was coming back from the Lincoln Memorial when I literally stumbled upon the Korean Memorial.  If you have ever seen it, it is marble statues in formation.  Coming up on it as the sun was starting to set was breath taking.  It was amazing to see the statues marching through the brush.  I could imagine the scene and all I could do was stare in amazement as tears rolled down my face.  I was speechless.  People I had never met, nor would ever meet, were in this foreign land for me.  In order to preserve the freedoms of the people of their country.  To then walk over and see the names on the wall brought another round of thankfulness.



The next morning was Sunday.  I had all day to explore, so the first place I wanted to see was Arlington National Cemetery.  My hotel was only two stops away, so I thought I would go, spend 1/2 an hour to an hour tops then head on to the Smithsonian.  I got off the Metro and started walking toward the main gate.  I went in and walked the path to get to the cemetery.  I was upset that there had to be signs placed that stated to be respectful and quiet.  I couldn't believe that people would not understand.  I got behind a large group and they were very loud and obnoxious.  One of the guards had to stop them and point at the sign...  I quickly realized that was why they had the sign.  Then, I saw it.  Fields upon fields of white tombstones.  I stopped climbing up the hill to get to the top and just stared.  I couldn't breathe.  It was massive.  I had no idea it was so large and I had just walked into the park.  Tears immediately started streaming down my face.  One of the security guards came up to me and asked if I was ok.  I just stared at him for a minute and said I don't think so.  He stayed with me and talked to me for 35-40 minutes about all the graves in his area.  He gave me stories of the people buried in his section.  He showed me a map and told me where to go from there.  I sat down on a step and just stared.  I realized all of the graves were someone tied to our country's history.  They were important figures, even if I never knew their name.  They were the ones that helped shape this country.  They were the ones that fought so  that I could enjoy the freedom that I take forgranted. I ended up wandering around Arlington for close to two and 1/2 hours. I got to see the changing of the guard at the tomb of the unknown soldier.  I got to see the changing of the wreath ceremony.   I was able to witness the dedication of the guards and see how great an honor it is to have that duty.  How important it is to remember the soldiers that fought and gave their lives for us.  Someone they have never met, but all the same, gave their life so that our country could still be great.





We need to remember their sacrifice, but more importantly, we need to remember the greatest sacrifice.  Just as our country needs to remember those that fought and died, we need to remember the One who died for all.  

John 15;13 "Greater love has no man than this, that he lay down his life for his friends."



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holiness

10 years.... 6 weeks

Starting up!