Season of Thanksgiving

The month of November came in like a lion.  I have been asked countless  times whether I was happy with the change, whether I was glad I have come back to teaching. My first response is a resounding yes.  I have been trying to keep a gratitude journal to remind myself exactly how blessed I am in the midst of the chaos that is my job.  At the end of each day, I try to write one thing that I am thankful for that day.  One  thing that is consistent is the kids I teach and how, even on bad days, I have one child that will always ask at different parts of the day "Are you having a good day, Miss Hopkins?"  At first, I would always tell her "Yes, of course".  One day this week, however, this little 8 year old, called me out for saying yes.  She said "Miss Hopkins, I don't believe you because your face doesn't match what you are saying."  I stopped what I was doing and looked right at her and said, "Thank you" and had to hold back the tears.  I then told her that I was having a rough day.  This spread around the class and the love I felt from these kids gave me the strength to get through the day with them.  This week has been one of the scariest, most helpless, exhausting, and emotional weeks I have experienced in a while.   I thought I was hiding it from these 8 and 9 year olds, but man, did God bless me with an amazing group of kids that are empathetic, kind, caring, hilarious, and just unique enough in each of their own way that brighten my day each and every day.

So in the midst of absolute terror this week over something so far out of my control or ability to help in any way, shape, or form, God has shown me countless times that He is Sovereign and still in control.  He hasn't been surprised by any of the events that have happened in my life, but has shown me that my people are in my life for a reason.  I have to admit that without them, this week would have been so much worse.  I had to keep reminding myself that with every text I sent this week, that I wasn't bothering them, but allowing them to have the opportunity to go before the throne on my behalf.    My life group at church has had a theme lately and it's aweing how what we have been studying has been what I have needed to hear.  See, it's such a privilege to be able to speak open and honestly before the throne of God.  It's not the only thing I can do, it's the best thing I can do.  I fully believe that the power of prayer is the only reason I was able to get up and go to work each day.  I fully believe that the army of prayer warriors reaching out is why this week is ending vastly different than was projected.   I will be honest and say that I take this privilege for granted and do a quick daily devotion and prayer on the way to work, but this week has been a reminder of the power of prayer.

So, as we get closer to the day of Thanksgiving, I am extremely thankful for the people God has placed in my life.  No matter the age or the purpose, the people that I am surrounded by are the best.


A reminder from one of my favorite mugs


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holiness

Starting up!