A Tribute to My Daddy

Now, I know y'all are thinking that you have the best father in the world, no one compares, and he's your hero, well, I hate to tell you this, but you are wrong!  You see, I have the best daddy in the world!

The story goes that when I was born, and they announced  that I was a girl, my mom said "put her back" because there was no way she was going to be the mom of a girl. However, by that time, my dad had taken one look at me and it was love at first sight.  He held me, and that was the end.

My father is an example of what a husband, father, and friend looks like.  He has always shown me the value of hard work.  He also has shown me the value of laughter.  I think one of his favorite holidays when we were kids was April Fool's day.  He would always put a piece of scotch tape around the spray nozzle for the kitchen faucet, so that when you turned the water on, you got sprayed. He did this for several years in a row, and I always seemed to fall for it.  I knew it was going to happen, and yet, still didn't put the nozzle in the sink to avoid the spray.  We used to go out to eat after church on Sundays, and would end up at Chi-Chi's. I loved it and never thought anything of it.  It wasn't until much later in life, I realized kids ate free on Sundays!  They used to have the best nachos, except for the fact that they had jalepeno peppers on the top.  Each week, dad would offer a quarter to whoever would eat one.  I always ate one, and cried the entire time I was eating them!  This lasted many years.  In fact, we went there for my 17th birthday, and he tried to offer me a quarter then!

When I think of my father, I can't help but think of the fun and laughs we had growing up!  Every other year, we went on a big family vacation.  The other year, it was always camping somewhere.  On one of our big trips, we were in Kentucky at the horse farm camping.  There was a family movie playing on the side of the stable, but I didn't want to finish watching it as I was falling asleep.  I was allowed to take a flashlight and head back to the camper.  Unbeknownst to me, a bunch of millers(moth like creatures) had gotten in to the camper.  When I opened the door, with the flashlight, they swarmed toward me.  I know my scream was bloodcurling, but all I remember is my daddy's arms around me.  I knew I was safe from those monsters with my daddy by my side!  Looking back, I am sure my father had to hold in his laughter, but at the time, his little girl was protected by him.

Then, on Father's day, 10 years ago, he helped pack up the U-Haul, got in his car loaded with some things, then, he and my brother drove the 500 miles to the hotel so that first thing in the morning, I could finish the paperwork, and move into my new apartment.  This is after he and I had already come down, and he looked at every place with me.  There were a few where he wouldn't even let me out of the car! But none the less, he took days off work, to come spend some time with me and talk to me about being on my own.  He talked to me all weekend about the dos and don'ts of being on my own.

There are so many instances that I can pull from my life where he just spent time with me to let me know how special and loved I am.

So, on this Father's day, I honor you daddy!  Thank you for being the daddy to a little girl that she would still admire you 37 years later.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holiness

10 years.... 6 weeks

Starting up!