Happy Valentine's Day

I know... I hear you... you think this is another blog from the single person on how horrible it is to be single on Valentine's day.  However, Valentine's day is so much more than me being on the couch in my jammies by 7:00 PM with the dishes done and ready for bed already.  I know you are jealous ;)

For me, Valentine's day is bitter sweet.  Seven years ago today, my family lost a huge part of us.  My grandfather died.  That left a huge hole in me.  So much so that it took a long time for me to begin to function again.  I have so many wonderful memories of my grandparents that even all these years later, I still expect to see Grandpa at family functions.  I expect to hear his laugh, to see the twinkle in his eye, and feel  the love he had for his family.  My family was extremely blessed to have him in our lives and I miss him daily, but no more so than February 14th.

Valentine's day is also my "gotcha" day for my Ladybug.  She was my Valentine's present from my parents on my first Valentine's down here in North Carolina.  My parents had given me the money to adopt her and my life has never been the same.  Even as I type this, she is snuggled up beside me snoring after enjoying her Frosty Paw treat that she got for her Valentine's day present.

Another sweet part of Valentine's day is the birthday of one of my favorite little men.  He is a couple of weeks older than my nephew and he constantly makes me laugh!  He is so full of life and has so much energy that I am glad that I can experience a little bit of life with him.

This year, I have made a conscious effort to not dwell on my singleness and being alone on this day for couples.  I have realized that this day is about love.  Sometimes the love leaves us and makes us grieve.  Sometimes, the love surprises us and makes us laugh.  Sometimes, the love is constant and brings us peace.  

Most importantly, I am realizing how loved I am.  I have a family that I can laugh with, talk to, and do life with.  I have friends that see me at my absolute lowest and worst, yet support me, crawl in the pit with me, and drag me out, even if it requires a gut punch.  They accept me as I am and love me no matter what.  I have a Savior that loves me so much He gave up His very life just so I can have a relationship with Him.

So yes, I am alone and ready for bed before 7:00 on Valentine's day, and there are moments of sadness but on this day all about love, I can embrace this day with arms wide open and appreciate the love around me.

Happy Valentine's Day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holiness

10 years.... 6 weeks

Starting up!