Looking back...

2014, what a year. Some of it good.  A lot of it bad.  This wasn't a good year for me.  I learned a lot about life this past year.  Not all of it good.  As I am reflecting on this past year, I am not sure how to think about it.  I feel like this year just kicked my butt.  It was hard, terrifying, humbling, grief stricken, horrifying, and at times, just plain awful.  But then there were bright patches among the darkness. There was hope, joy, pride, excitement, and love.

One of the best moments of this year was watching my big brother cross the finish line and hear the words "Dan Hopkins, You Are An Ironman!"  I still get teary thinking about that moment and how excited he was to finish.  I was amazed that he was able to do it.  I was proud that he accomplished it.  I was overjoyed to see him after a long 12 hours of aunt and mommy sitting! I was overcome when I got to hug him at the end.  My brother is one of my heroes.  He had worked so hard to complete this goal and I was so glad I was there to witness it.  It was even more exciting when we found out that our extended family was able to "watch" it online and see the finish.  To see the outpouring of love and support for him was exhilarating.

Another great part of this year was not one specific moment, but more of a realization.  I had been struggling with whether or not to just give up down here and move back home to Ohio where my family is.  I had been through some rough storms and just felt battered.  I wanted the safety and security of "home".  I wanted to just have everything taken care of and revert back to childhood where I didn't have to worry about it.  Just when I was ready to give up, I had a revelation.  It was a series of moments that kept flashing through my mind.  It was the phone calls when most needed, the conversations had, the laughter, dinners, and smiles.  All these made me realize that I have family here in North Carolina.  The people that God has placed in my life during these storms have been empathetic, caring, loving, supportive, and special.  They have become my family, my life support, my posse.  I wouldn't have survived this year without them.

This past month, I had the privilege and joy of watching a dear friend get married. Now she has had a phenomenal year and I was so proud to be able to sit on the sidelines and cheer her on this new journey she has undertaken this year.

So, yes, there were good moments out of this year.  There are always good moments if you look for them.  Yes, there were horrendous moments, it's the world we live in.  However, there has been one passage that has been a comfort to me this year. As Paul wrote in the second letter to the Corinthians: "Of such a One will I glory: yet of myself I will not glory, but in mine infirmities.  For though I would desire to glory, I shall not be a fool; for I will say the truth: but now I forbear, lest any man should think of me above that which he seeth me to be, or that he heareth of me.  And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.  For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.  And he said unto me "My grace is sufficient for thee; for my strength is mad perfect in weakness".  Most gladly will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.  Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong." 2 Corinthians 12:5-10

As the old adage states "Out with the old, In with the new."  So as 2014 closes out, I am trying to be thankful for the lessons learned this year and am awaiting what is in store for this next year all the while remembering that in my weakness, He is strong.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 years.... 6 weeks

Holiness

Starting up!