He is Risen!.... Yep!

Before anyone gets upset or thinks I have lost my mind, there is a story behind the title.  I do know that the choral response is "He is Risen indeed".  However, one year at Easter someone came up to me on Easter Sunday and said "He is Risen".  I stared at him and brilliantly said "Yep!"  Of course a couple of my good friends were right there, so now every Easter, I am reminded of that brilliant moment in my life.

On a more serious note, today is probably my favorite holiday.  Not because of the Easter baskets or egg hunts.  Not because of the dinner that my family traditionally has together.  Not because of the new dress.  Because this day represents hope.  Without this day, there is no hope in my life.  Without this day, there is no joy.  This day is the most important day in my faith because without the resurrection of Christ, I would be worshiping another dead guy.  But, my God isn't dead.  Not anymore.  Not since Resurrection day.

Traditionally, my family all gathers together (both my mom's family and my dad's family) and we have a huge dinner, family pictures, an egg hunt in the backyard (some years in the snow!), and games.  This year, I was at church by 6:45 this morning wearing a silver sequined top with a black jacket, ready to sing!  Sang all three services at my church, then went out to dinner with my Mel and her family as they have adopted me!  I came home, changed out of my clothes and slept for 2 hours.  Not a traditional Easter Sunday, but it has been a great day because I was able to worship my Savior's resurrection.  See, when He died on the cross, He was placed in a tomb.  He was gone.  There was no hope.  However, Scripture tells us that is not the end of the story. Early in the morning, they went to the tomb and it was empty.  The grave clothes were there, but there was no body.  Supernaturally and unexplainably.  Do I understand it?  Not one iota.  But I have hope in this event.

We sang a song this morning that had the line "His tomb was the first and last tomb where life and death would collide."  The tomb that He was laid in is the only tomb where death would collide with life.  Tombs are used to house death.  That tomb housed death, but then it housed life.  And that life is where my faith rests.  It is where my faith starts and ends.  That is all I have to have faith in.  Not the tomb, but the person who was in the tomb.  He was dead, then, he was alive.

So, while I love the memories and traditions and stuff of Easter, I wouldn't be who I am without this day.   Which is why, above all else, Easter is my favorite holiday.

Happy resurrection day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 years.... 6 weeks

Holiness

Starting up!