Happy Thanksgiving!

It's after dinner, I am still stuffed, and sitting at home with the Christmas music playing softly in the background.  Thanksgiving has always been one of my favorite holidays and over the last few years it has looked a little different, tasted a little different, and felt a little different.  Traditions are different in each family.  I love the traditions in mine. All gathering together in one house, the dishes that are eaten at every family meal, then playing board games after the clean up is done.  I have some very competitive people in my family, let me tell you!  It gets cutthroat around the table.  I cherish the memories of all of my family gathering together, sitting at the kids table (still), the laughter, the games, the joy of simply being with one another.  I have long since realized that my family is "abnormal".  We all enjoy being with each other and when one of us is missing, it's felt.  Even as adults, I enjoy simply talking to my cousins and catching up on their lives, now that we are all going in different directions.  We had a great foundation with our grandparents and parents.  They have shown us the value of stopping and being a part of each others lives.

The last few years, I have been blessed to become part of someone else's family since I haven't been able to travel to my family.  I have learned to embrace new traditions, new tastes, new feelings.  This year, we were missing someone and it was felt.  There was a bittersweetness to the day.  New faces, new families were met, and yet there was a hole.  There was still laughter, stories, good food, and fellowship; but it was under a cloud of grief.

As I sit here reflecting on the day, I know I have so much to be thankful for.  I am thankful for my parents who I got to spend some time with this month, My parents have shown me what a godly marriage looks like, how hard it is, and how much joy and laughter can come from a relationship that is built on love, trust, and Christ. I am thankful for my brothers.  They have both taught me so much and to say I am blessed to do life with them is an understatement.  My oldest brother has always been my protector; whether to lift my spirits, calm my fears, or fight my battles, he is there for me. My other brother is my encourager.  He has taught me that while there are times that life just sucks, you can overcome it and come out stronger.  I am so proud of all he has accomplished this year and the person that he has become. He's one of my strongest cheerleaders and if I need strength, he provides it. I am thankful for my friends that are like family.  I can laugh with them, cry with them, rage with them, and simply be still with them.

While this Thanksgiving looked, felt, and tasted a little bit different, that's not a bad thing.  It is just different.  I was thinking this morning about Psalm 100 where it says "enter His gates with thanksgiving, and into His courts with praise".  This tells me that no matter what, I need to enter into the presence of the Lord with thanksgiving.  Thanksgiving is defined as the expression of gratitude.  That is the essence of today.  To stop and show gratitude to the Lord for the blessings that have been given to us.

So today, and everyday, I pray that you take a moment to reflect on those blessings and express those blessings.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holiness

10 years.... 6 weeks

Starting up!